Tuesday 10 December 2013

OUGD504 - Design Production: Design For Web (Final Crit)

Final Crit Boards






This morning we had a briefing where we were split in to group A and B. Today group B (my group) were asked to put all of our web design sheets out as well as our laptops with our functioning website on, so that the other group could crit our work. We were asked to leave some questions for our peers to answer and so I asked the questions:
  • Would you benefit from having a set of static headings on the homepage instead of a rollover image?
  • Are there any issues with my navigation?
  • Any other comments.
Above I have uploaded all of my different boards which I had laid out so enable people to understand where my idea has come from and to understand my development along the way. I spent quite a lot of time organising these boards as I feel it is important to present my work as succinctly and effectively as possible to make it easier for my audience. I also found that it helped me in my head to refresh my memory of all of my development. I therefore hope it was useful when people were reviewing my work.

The responses I received are as follows:
  • Would you benefit from having a set of static headings on the homepage instead of a rollover image?
Response 1
I really like the way the links roll over to tell you more about the page. Makes the site feel more interactive. Static headings would be boring and I feel the illustrations create a really intriguing aesthetic, keep it as it is!

Response 2
The roll over images work really well. I like the fact it has small captions on what it is about.

Response 3
For navigation I would personally have the heading above the circle on the home page so that there's text as well, and just have the content within the circle appear when rolled over.

Response 4
I think the only reason you would benefit from static captions is that the navigation moves and therefore it may become confusing to the reader if they can't see the header names for pages and may just see the nav bar as images.

  • Are there any issues with my navigation?
Response 1
Not at all, the navigation is very concise and it is clear where you need to be clicking to go where.

Response 2
The grid used on the main content pages work well but the size of the logo should be bigger than the ones on the nav bar.

Response 3
When clicking on a page it is a little confusing on how to get back to the home page due to the three other icons at the top.

Response 4
As for the other pages I would have all of the four circle links in the corner rather than just three so that they don't change order as for someone who doesn't know what the symbol means it can be quite confusing for them to swap places - you don't usually see one of the navigation links disappear when you click on it - just highlighted by colour, bold etc.

Response 5
I think you need all rollover buttons on navigation bar even when you are on that page, as you are relating the icon to that page mainly but then you don't see it on the page.
  • Any other comments
Response 1
I think you need more on your home page as it looks too bare at the moment and I wouldn't be invited to look further.

Response 2
Website is very clean and content itself will be very easy to read and understand by layout choice. I think it will be a very good website when the content is added and navigation is more consistent as it is well presented.

Response 3
Possibly include more photographs of packaging?

Response 4
I find that the colour scheme works very well and is suited to your purpose but I think that the white background makes it look too corporate, so maybe an image at low opacity could be suggested.

Response 5
I love the aesthetic and the feel of the website, but would be cool to see how the homepage would work with the new layout, along with the photographs of the organic materials. I know you said it was starting to look cluttered but the images in each corner seemed like a nice idea. Just a thought, it is really 'nice' as it is anyway! Good choice of minimal colours, which fit with your theme and don't distract you from the content.

Personal Review

I found all of this feedback really helpful. However some of the comments made could have been a bit more constructive. I am going to take all of this in to consideration when completing my website and will make sure that I make informed decisions to suggest whether or not I feel all of this feedback would be appropriate to apply to my work.

Things I need to do:

  • Consider all of the feedback given and made informed decisions about whether or not to make all of the changes which have been suggested. In doing so I will be able to complete my website knowing that I have taken in to consideration all of the given feedback.




No comments:

Post a Comment