Wednesday 13 November 2013

OUGD504 - Design Production: Design For Print (Informed Decisions)

During the time before university when I worked at Pandora's Box and then did an art foundation degree, I learnt a lot about myself and the way in which I prefer to work. I think that completing an art foundation degree, it allowed me to experiment with so many different processes, which have helped to inform my decisions to this day. 

I wanted to create a post to demonstrate my ability to experiment with different print processes, and to also indicate why I have made the decisions I have made for this brief in terms of processes I will be using. I felt as though, rather than repeating myself too much in terms of sampling, it would be more worthwhile for me to focus on my actual content and the underlying concept of being environmentally friendly and turning over a new leaf. 

Therefore I have posted a variety of different experiments I carried out where print is concerned and still use these samples as a reference for what I like and dislike in terms of print. Although at the time I was unsure about my signature and about the area of graphic design I love the most, I feel as though the experimentation I carried out significantly helped me to make these decisions, and as a result I feel more confident with who I am as a designer today. 

I was pushed out of my comfort zone and because of this I was able to discover new methods of print and design that I was previously unaware of. This was a turning point for me, where I discovered that ideas don't need to be presented perfectly, they just need to be presented somehow to understand the development and where the idea has grown from. I also learnt to let go and not be as precious with my work, this enabled me to discover that I loved using the laser cutter as well as creating packaging.

Due to all of the above reasons, I have continued to experiment in areas of print which I know I am interested in, as I would love to refine certain skills such as embossing, debossing, laser cutting and the formation of packaging. I would also love to try die cutting.

Laser Cut 

Below is an example of how I used the laser cutter to create accurately cut out cog wheels for a group installation we created. This was my first time properly using the laser cutter and I was really happy with the outcome.



I also created a miniature shop display window, which involved me having to raster a piece of clear plastic on the laser cutter to get the desired effect of an engraved outline of a body and my logo. To start with I used an old piece of wood to see how it would turn out, and then I applied the same process to the correct material. I was so pleased with the outcome of this process which is why I have continued to laser cut this year, and will do more of it for this brief if I want to emboss using paper, or create a laser cut envelope. I am not sure whether it would be a good idea to make an intricately designed envelope however, because once again it would be hard to reproduce and if there was a large area of the envelope missing/cut out then it wouldn't be very practical or sustainable because there would be limited space to print on to.




Collograph

Collograph printing is a printing process I am not overly fond of. We had to collect materials which we could use to create a pattern which could then be covered in ink and printed. I think if I was wanting a more authentic finish to my work, then this would be ideal. However, because I have decided it will be sent out and digitally printed by the government, this wouldn't be an option. Although it isn't suited to this brief I would still probably use this in the future if I was wanting to print certain textures. If I had decided to keep developing my original idea, using leaves, then this would have been one way of printing using leaves to get all of the textures to show up. However I don't think this is necessary now, although it is something I could experiment with.




Dry Point

Below are some examples of dry point sampling I did. Although it was very easy to engrave in to the zinc, I wasn't overly keen on this process because once a mark is there, it is irreversible and cannot be removed. The only way this could be done is if it was scanned in and edited digitally, which in some respects would defeat the objective of using such a hands on process. This process isn't suitable for my print brief because I don't feel as though it is necessary. If I had wanted this finish then it would have been ideal to use.




Etching

Etching is quite a similar process which I wasn't very interested in. The finish of the process is once again slightly rough and doesn't look very polished, and I like it when things look finishes and more professional. To me, this is a more crafty process to use.


Screen print

Screen printing is a process which I quite like in comparison to the others. I was quite happy with the outcome of my prints, but they didn't turn out at a very high quality like I would have liked them to. For my brief however, it is hard to reproduce thousands of screen prints and is more efficient to reproduce using digital methods of printing.











No comments:

Post a Comment